Here at Orchid Owl Quilts, we offer a variety of classes and workshops at our shop. But I am also traveling to teach at guilds, quilt shops, retreats and other quilting events. I love to share my love of quilting with others!
Please review the workshops I offer below and contact me to discuss my availability. Any workshops I am currently scheduled for that are open for enrollment will also be listed below.
Quilting Ideas for Finishing Classic Patchwork
This workshop is based on my book, Machine Quilting Idea Book, and teaches you how to quilt classic patchwork blocks. This workshop focuses on showing students many options for quilting motifs and how to move around blocks with ease. The workshop is appropriate for students of all skill levels. Students will be required to purchase the book. This is an all day workshop (6 hours).
Feather Mastery Workshop
This workshop focuses on one of the hardest quilting motifs, the feather. Many quilters struggle when it comes to quilting feathers. I will show students my tried and true method for creating fancy feathers that are sure to delight. Students will learn how to quilt feathers in borders and multiple shapes i.e., squares, triangles. This is an all day workshop (6 hours).
How Should I Quilt My Quilt?
This lecture/workshop focuses on helping students answer the age-old question "How should I quilt my quilt? " This is the question that I hear the most and am going to share my best tips and tricks for figuring out a quilting plan. Students should bring quilt tops that haven't been quilted for discussion. This is a half-day workshop (3 hours).
Longarm Tips & Tricks
This lecture/workshop focuses on teaching students my favorite tips and tricks for longarm quilting. Students will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and pick my brain. Topics include but are not limited too; thread, loading, batting, tension, maintenance, best practices for running a longarm quilting business, and more. This is a half-day workshop (3 hours).
Background Fills Galore
This workshop focuses on many different background fills that will elevate your quilting to the next level. Students will learn about swirls, pebbles, ribbon candy, figure 8's, paisleys, wood grain, water, flowers, and more. This is an all day workshop (6 hours).
Ruler Work 101
This workshop focuses on beginning ruler work for longarm quilters. Learn simple ways to begin to incorporate ruler work in your quilts. I will share some of my favorite rulers, too. This class focuses on straight-line ruler work for beginners. This is an all day workshop (6 hours).
Contact me for more workshop details
Do you have any questions about my workshops or are you ready to book an event? Contact me using the form below.
Pricing and Details
I'm so happy that you're interested in hiring me to teach at your event! Please read through the following info regarding prices and accommodations to see if I'm a good fit for your event. I'd love to share my love of quilting with you!
- Lecture/trunk show $350. (Approx. 90 minutes with quilts, Q&A, and book signing)
- Full day workshop (6 hours) $695.
- Minimum engagement is lecture/trunk show and one full day workshop.
- I love to teach at longarm quilt shops/dealerships/training centers. I'm primarily a longarm instructor but I'm happy to teach students on domestic machines, too.
- I'm also available to teach at guilds, retreats, and any other event you may be hosting.
- I'd be delighted to travel internationally….wink wink.
- I offer private lessons at the rate of $50/hour at the shop.
- The venue should allow selling as I will have my books and other products to sell.
Travel and Airfare
Please estimate airfare costs by using my home location, McCarran Airport, Las Vegas, NV (LAS).
Meals are charged at the IRS per diem rate (currently $55) per day (including travel days).
- Lodging includes the night before the first event through the night of the last event.
- Lodging will be reimbursed at the average rate of $150 per night.
- Airfare, baggage fees, and shipping quilts will be covered by the host.
- Mileage to/from airport from my home and parking at the airport or airport shuttle will be covered by host.
- I will drive to locations within 5 hours of Las Vegas; standard mileage rates apply.
- I have a projector but the host will need to provide a screen.
- I prefer to have no more than 3 students per longarm machine for hands-on classes. Classes on domestic machines are limited to 20 students. Lectures/trunk shows are unlimited.
- $150 non-refundable deposit due within 30 days of signed contract; applied toward the balance of the engagement.
- Travel fees (airfare, hotel, etc.) are non-refundable due to cancellation of event by the host.
- Balance of fees must be paid the day of the
- If the event requires a non-teaching/non-lecture day, please note that a $150 layover fee and accommodation expenses will be required.