In February I joined the Stash Bee, hosted by Sunni from Love Affair with my Brother ~ my first quilting bee ever! Our bee leader this month has requested tree blocks. I racked my brain for several days trying to think of something different and thought I had a brilliant idea. I had visions of circle leaves with the centers cut out. So, I cut out lots of little circles and then cut out the centers. Originally, I wanted to interlock the circles but that did not work. I was just not happy with the tree.
I’m really not sure what I was thinking with this design. Some ideas are better off left in my head. How in the world did I plan on stitching around that layered mess of circles?
Am I the only one that always ends up with a sticky mess when I appliqué? I had steam a seam stuck to everything: my iron, the ironing board cover, the fabric. I’m sure you get the picture. I actually had to stop so I could clean my iron and wash the ironing board cover. And yes, I was using an appliqué pressing sheet. I had sticky stuff all over it too! I think I’m just impaired when it comes to appliqué.
I cleaned up my mess and went back to the drawing board. I did a little surfing for some inspiration and I’m pretty happy with tree number 2.
I made a swirly trunk out of Moda Bella Solids ~ Steel and used up some pink and orange scraps for the leaves. I didn’t cut perfect circles. I wanted them to be free form circles. I top stitched the pink leaves with orange thread and the orange leaves with pink thread.